Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Jamaican postcards

"Jamaican band play calypso, quiet mento and also digging songs"

"Liza carry basket on head"

"Day dah light on' me wan' go home"

"Carry me ackee gone o' Linstead Market, not a quattie wort' sell..."

"Bongo! Bill beat the drum again"

In June 1962 my mother visited Jamaica and bought these fantastic postcards.
Fortunately she never got round to sending them so 44 years later we can enjoy them.
They're by a painter called Beverly Wasile who on further research painted similar subjects in the Bahamas.
I particularly like the titles.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post on Beverly Wasile! I found this weekend a beautifully framed set of 12 cards and fell in love with the piece. They were put behind glass 50 years ago and are in pristine condition. I would love to find out more about the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just purchased an oil painting by Beverly Wasile, originally sold at an art dealer in Nassau, Bahamas. I don't know much else about the artist and would love additional information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've shared this Postcard, they are really beautiful. And I really like this
    Thank you for sharing

    Pincodezone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the hardwork done by the blog owner.Keep Posting such great things again.Looking forward for your next post.
    find pincode

    ReplyDelete